During the Second Lebanon War, Officer Asael Lubotzky (now aged 29) from the esteemed Golani Infantry Brigade, was admitted to Rambam Health Care Campus after being seriously wounded from a direct anti-tank missile at the site of what became known as the Battle of Bint Jbeil.
Upon arriving at the hospital, Lubotzky was rushed into the operating room with a goal that was against all odds: to save Lubotzky’s legs. Lubotzky underwent a lengthy rehabilitation that included over 20 orthopedic and cosmetic surgeries at RHCC.
“Not all doctors stayed optimistic about the injuries to my legs,” says Lubotzky in admiration, “One of them was so hopeful that he could save my leg and that one day, he’d be there to witness the ‘breaking of the glass’ on my wedding day.” These words are what kept Lubotzky going, throughout the long and often painful rehabilitation period. Two years later, Asael Lubotzky stood under the chuppah and vigorously performed ‘breaking of the glass’ with his right foot. Today, he is the proud father of a little girl.
In retrospect, Lubotzky’s injuries led him to notable accomplishments. His story was published by Yedioth Books in “From the Wilderness and Lebanon,” which recounts his personal experiences from the Second Lebanon War. Within a very short time, almost from the moment it was printed, it became a best seller in Israel. Around six years ago, Lubotzky was accepted by the Hadassah Medical School in Ein Karem and today, he is learning in his fifth year of medical school. “A great part of this decision to become a doctor was inspired by the exemplary model set by the doctors who treated me,” recalls Lubotzky.
- ‘Israel’s strike on Syria last month killed top Iranian general’ (timesofisrael.com)
- Israel braces for action along the Syrian border (vineoflife.net)
- Lebanon may be new front in Syria’s war (upi.com)
- Why Southern Lebanon Still Matters (eurasiareview.com)
- Top Iranian general said target of Israeli strike in Syria (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- ‘Israel monitors weapons transfers to Syrian rebels’ – Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)
- Israel Prepping for Any Possibility Along Border with Syria (algemeiner.com)
- Israel strikes convoy of trucks in Syria (vineoflife.net)
- Hezbollah moves into south Lebanon villages (vineoflife.net)
- IDF Saves Life of 13-Year-Old PA Boy (israelnationalnews.com)